Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Back in Black Beloit

Well, it's Tuesday and we're all back at school working hard. Fall break was a welcome respite from papers and reading (not to say I didn't do homework). I managed to finish up my application essays for studying abroad and buy some warm clothes for this winter.

The highlight of my week was a conference of sorts. Now, I haven't mentioned it yet but I'm a Baha'i. For those of you (probably most) who don't know, it's an independent wold religion. Check out the link to learn more (mostly because describing the Baha'i Faith in a nutshell would take ages).

The summer counseling job I had was at Bosch Baha'i School, a conference center in the Santa Cruz mountains. This past weekend I went up for the College Club weeked. We focused on Baha'i Campus Associations/Baha'i Clubs on college campus. Out of the 19 counselors for the Jr. Youth week this past July, 11 of us were at college club! It was a mini reunion of some of the best, most loving and energetic people I know! Can you find the same people twice? (There are only ten in the second picture because Sam couldn't be found)






















Part of the requirement for my major is a 90-hour internship having to do with Rhetoric and/or Discourse. To fill this requirement I am going to serve as a volunteer at Bosch Baha'i School next May, June and July in whatever capacity they need. I have many friends who are serving there for a year currently and I can't wait to join them for a few months. Baha'i youth are asked to do volunteer work for a year at some point. I do not know how I will fit this into my future but I will find somehow.

There are 7 Baha'is here at Beloit (2 abroad this semester) but we don't have a formal club. I've been working to get the Baha'i students on campus together and active but we're all so busy that we aren't finding time to get together. Because of this we've been attending meetings and devotional gatherings with the Baha'is in town.

The Spiritual Life Program here on campus helps to organize field trips to various religious performances, temples, churches and sites. This Saturday we're heading to Wilmette, IL (outside Chicago) to visit the Baha'i Temple for North America! I'm very excited to visit the Temple again, even though I was there in May. The gardens surrounding it are beautiful and the leaves are changing into beautiful autumn reds and golds!

Well, I've got a lab report to write and a short story to memorize so I'm off.

P.S. This computer's keyboard has major lag time when typing on blogger.

P.P.S. Go Red Sox!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With your permission I would like to excerpt from this post with photo and link.

BeloitInAction said...

Sure, you can link to this entry!

Anonymous said...

All Volunteers come to Served in india we are Inviting sujeet from india New Delhi