Monday, March 17, 2008

it goes up to 11

With two of my classes focusing on global climate change and the general destruction by humans of our Earth, I have to find positive reasons to keep going; my single CFL light bulb doesn't help.

Netflix, an excellent local public library, and the Film Series club aid Beloit students in fleshing out their film watching skillz. Most weekends, sometimes twice, the Flim Series puts on strange, cult and indie films.

Anyone who knows me that I have strange taste in films. I tend to gravitate toward dark comedies but love suspense films and adore musicals. Hitchcock's library is slowly being ticked off my list [I love finding his cameos] but I cannot count how many times I've seen Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

I've watched classic silent films with their striking scores and period films about the lowest scum of the earth. I have watched some movies that are pretty messed up.

But this one topped them all.

Film Series showed 2006's Brothers of the Head on Saturday night. Punk rock conjoined twins, you say? Sure, I'm there. Maybe that was a bad idea. I'm usually all for mockumentaries, especially of musicians [This is Spıal Tap, anyone?] but this one was....just too much. I had to go watch Voodoo Barbie [student improv] and dance the night away at Alpha Sigma Tau's annual St. Patrick's Day party to clear my mind.

Sadly, I missed Film Series' Wallace and Gromit night.

No comments: